“For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things” (Psalm 107:9). How do you respond to this promise? If you could ask God for one good thing that would help you to feel a deep and soul-filling satisfaction, what would it be? (Ch. 13, RQ 6) -
It was hard this week choosing which topic I wanted to write about. But something about this question kept drawing me back. I thought on it for most of the week. I started off with the first things that popped into my mind, they were mostly physical and emotional ways to meet my needs. I was thinking about satisfaction, not soul satisfaction. For example, closer friendships, better connection with my husband, good health, playing with my grandkids, hugs, celebrations, good conversation, the beauty of creation, hiking, sitting on a beach, camping in the mountains, music, the good feeling from hard work, all the things that are gifts from God in our lives and do bring a certain amount happiness. But I'm not sure that any of them can bring about soul satisfaction. But after about the 4th read of this question the word SOUL filling satisfaction stood out to me, not necessarily things to meet my comfort and make me feel good.
So if I were going to answer the above question it would have to be that God would keep me close to Him and help me to Crave Him and be in His word. That I would make Him central in every part of my life and in my decisions even the small stuff and even in hard times! Soul filling satisfaction has to come from God alone! He is the only one able to fill that deep void. Other things can mask it for a time and make us feel good, but especially in hard times of life only God can provide, comfort, real complete unconditional love, the security I crave. I do think that God is the giver of all good gifts and uses things in this life to show His love in tangible ways through people, but Soul satisfaction I think has to do with feeling at peace with God, that we are in fellowship with Him and communing with Him as we go about our day. It's taking everything to Him, seeking Him before making any decisions and asking for forgiveness when we fail. Walking with God. We were created to fellowship with God and be in relationship with Him and when we have that, we have satisfaction in the deepest parts of our being. Of course, no one can have perfect soul satisfaction in this life. We are made to crave God. He gave us that craving to drive us to Himself, but that void won't be totally filled until we are forever with Him in our perfect sinless bodies and then we will know complete soul satisfaction.
Colossians 1:16 "For it was in Him that all things were created, in heaven and on earth, things seen and things unseen, whether thrones, dominions, rulers, or authorities; all things were created and exist through Him and in and for Him."
Thanks for sharing " Soul Satisfaction" which comes from God alone. He is the only one who can fill the voids in our lives. Craving more of God is what we need to strive for daily. Blessings on you as you journey with Him .
ReplyDeleteMarilyn (OBS Small Group Leader)
I'm praying we all seek "soul satisfaction" and in the seeking our relationship with God deepens and strengthens. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteMary
Amen! True words. Thank you for your post. "Soul Satisfaction" does indeed produce peace.
ReplyDelete