II Corinthians 12:9 NIV " But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me."
This verse became very important to me in college, over 30 years ago, when I was feeling very lost and thinking I should give up and go home. God gave this verse to me through one of my freshmen Bible teachers that I had gone to for some advice. It has stuck with me all these years. So when I saw that unpacking this verse was one of the blog topics for week 4, I knew I needed to choose this one.
So it's starts out "He said to me." This is very personal. God speaking to ME, Lois! "My Grace"
(the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.) "is sufficient" (adequate for the purpose; enough) "for YOU" (Lois), "for my power is made perfect in weakness." God's unlimited power can take my weakness and make me perfect in God's sight because of the blood of Jesus. And then this is the part I've never give much thought to until this week. "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness." I'm still not sure I have my mind wrapped around that. That we can boast, not in ourselves, but in God being able to make something out of our weakness. It also says gladly. So we can actually be thankful for the struggles that we have, be GLAD in them, that they are working to draw us closer to Him in our need. We don't have any reason to be feeling sorry for ourselves about our weaknesses. It's all for our good and sanctification! "So that Christ's power may rest on ME!!" The Amplified version describes this as pitching a tent over and dwelling upon me! Completely covered with his power! What a picture!
So to sum it up, I can be thankful for my weakness and that I have to have struggles in this life, as they only magnify God's grace and power in my life. This only makes me want to Glorify God more in my life and by my life!
I reaIly love the Amplified description of Christ's power as pitching a tent over and dwelling upon me. I hadn't read that before and I love the picture it gives! Completely covered and enveloped in His power. Wow! What a thought! :) Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWith the convenience of the Bible on my phone, I've been checking other versions more. Some interesting descriptions in the Amplified.
DeleteLois, this was a powerful post. I loved you grasp of our memory verse. And your story from college day was inspiring.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Barbara P. (OBS Small Group Leader
Great word picture! It's great to hear how God has used this verse in your life. Blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteCindy
http://www.welltrainedmama.com
Love the way you unpacked this verse for us OBS sisters! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThank you all!
ReplyDelete