As Mother's Day approaches it causes me to be reflective thinking back over the years, first as a child and then as a Mother with my own children. God has been good to me to let me be raised by a Mother who would love me, care for me and was, and still is, always there for me. I appreciate having a mom who put time into her marriage and never gave me reason to fear that one day my parents may separate. It was a secure feeling in childhood, one for which I will always be grateful!
Then came the day of my wedding. I didn't know my mother in law well then, but through the years I have grown to know her and love her like my own mom. She too was a loving mother to my husband as he was growing up, yet when the time came for us to be married, she let go of her son and let me be his wife. I appreciate that about her that she never has tried to come between us as I hear so many mother in laws do. I am blessed!
After the wedding we had one year alone as a couple before becoming parents for the first time. What a joy our son Bryan Scott has been to us all these almost 30 years! Such a sweet loving son. Always mature beyond his years. He was very creative and inventive, always figuring out better ways to do things or design some cool new game or a bridge over the stream while camping. Now a husband and great father to our grandson and about to complete his Master's Degree in Landscape Architecture. I couldn't be more proud! Then three years after Scott we had another blessing, our first little girl, Elizabeth Amber. She too has brought us so much joy! She was extremely imaginative and very optimistic, bringing us lots of laughter with the funny things she would say and do as a little girl. Always so cuddly as a little girl and loved to do things to make people happy. Now a wife and resourceful home school mom to our four sweet, creative granddaughters. Then seven years after Beth was born, we were blessed one more time with another daughter, Abigail Lauren. The two older kids were 7 and 10 at the time, so she was a lot of fun for the older two. They spent many hours playing photographer and posing her with props which she usually enjoyed as much as they did, she loved playing in her little kitchen bringing us all pretend food that she made, they helped her learn to walk and talk. Abby also has brought so much joy into this family and to my heart as her mom. She's always had a very giving, generous heart, a hard worker and driven to do things well and organize this disorganized mom. It came out more watching her plan her wedding last year and now seeing her doing well as a catering manager. Such a perfect fit for her. Those 29 years of having children in our home, we felt blessed with being able to home school them which gave us the flexibility to do extra things such as music and traveling on many of Dad's work trips. Those trips were some of our best memories. Of course the happy memories were mixed with the hard times as in any family but all of it together making us who we were as a family. I'm thankful for all of it, the good with the bad. But this blog post is about remembering the the happy times which are much more fixed in my memory.
Now all three are grown and married to wonderful spouses and doing well. We have five beautiful grandchildren so far and I feel truly blessed as a daughter, a mom and a grandma (Moga) this Mother's Day 2014.
No comments:
Post a Comment